WHAT IS AN OFFERING
A thing offered as a sacrifice or token of devotion to God. We give our offering to God in honour of Him. Proverbs 3:9 – Honor the Lord with your wealth and with the first fruits of all your produce;
It is to the praise of God. It is a small expression of gratitude and praise for all the good things God has done
We are required to honour God with the right offerings. AN OFFERING should be that which costs us (causes us self-crucifixion)
2 Samuel 24:24 and the king said unto Araunah, Nay; but I will surely buy it of thee at a price: neither will I offer burnt offerings unto the Lord my God of that which doth cost me nothing. So David bought the threshing floor and the oxen for fifty shekels of silver.
In the Old Testament the children of Israel were warned against bringing animals with defects Deuteronomy 15:21 and if there be any blemish therein, as if it be lame, or blind, or have any ill blemish, thou shalt not sacrifice it unto the Lord thy God.
As we offer right sacrifices we should also exercise our faith and trust God to come through for us
Psalms 4:5 Offer right sacrifices, and put your trust in the Lord.
Importance of giving offerings
- Giving opens your doors for abundance in your life
Proverbs 3:10 then your barns will be filled with plenty, and your vats will be bursting with wine.
- These offerings will also help prosper and grow God’s kingdom
- We are more blessed as we give offerings
Acts 20:35 ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’
- Giving submits to God’s Lordship. Every act of obedience recognizes that there is a higher authority in our lives, that there is God over us who is entitled to be honored and respected.
How to give
- We give according to what we have
Deuteronomy 16:17 every man shall give as he is able, according to the blessing of the Lord your God that he has given you.
- Giving should be done freely
- Giving should be cheerfully done
- Plan what you will give as offering
2 Corinthians 9:6 each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.
The ultimate sacrifice was that of God who willingly gave his only son that we may be saved and have life.